Sweet Potato, Red Lentil & Coconut Curry
Brought to you by the plant-based queen herself, Deliciously Ella is the inspiration behind today’s Sweet Potato, Red Lentil and Coconut Curry. It’s the perfect versatile recipe, that’s sweet enough for Summer but also uplifting on a rainy day which, even in July, is highly likely. Batch cook for a quick pick-me-up to overcome the midday slump or enjoy it as a wholesome dinner. Feel free to freestyle by adding some seasonal vegetables for an extra nutritional kick.
Ingredients (Makes 5)
500G chopped and peeled sweet potato
150g red lentils (rinsed 3 times)
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
½ tin of black beans (washed and rinsed)
2-3 handfuls of spinach
400ml coconut milk (shake tin before opening)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan) or 200 degrees for a conventional oven.
2. Place the hob on a medium heat and pour in the coconut milk, water, turmeric and cumin into a cast iron casserole dish, and allow to bubble.
3. In a separate saucepan, briefly sauté the onion and pepper in 2tbsp oil until caramelised.
4. Once the coconut milk and water have boiled, transfer the onion and pepper into the pot. Add sweet potato and red lentils, then stir.
5. Remove pot from heat and transfer to the oven. This will allow the curry to thicken and let the flavours sing.
6. Heat in the oven for at least 45 minutes and up to an hour until thick and creamy, stirring every 15 minutes.
7. Pour in the black beans and throw in the spinach, 3 minutes before it’s ready and stir.
8. Garnish with coriander and serve. Serve with rice of alternatively alongside grains, avocado, seasonal veg and your dressing of choice for the ultimate Summer Buddha bowl.
The curry will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge and leftovers can be frozen!
For more Deliciously Ella recipes, including the inspiration for this one, check out their website. Also take a look at the Deliciously Ella Instagram for more ideas (Warning: Contents will make your mouth water).
To find out how our approach can help you - drop us a line on 020 3651 5000 or send us the form below with some basic information and we’ll be in touch to discuss the finer details.