Autumn is well and truly upon us now, and it only means one thing: it is time to bring back our favourite comfort foods and we’ve the perfect one just in time for World Vegan Day!
After a crisp stroll in the park to take in the Autumn sights – there’s nothing quite like a home-cooked warming dish to end the day (paired with extra comfy clothes of course).
Curry is definitely ranking high on our list of favourite Autumn-warmers…
To celebrate World Vegan Day on the 1st of November we’re recreating Vegan Food and Living’s Tempeh Katsu Curry.
First – get your ingredients out.
1Tiba Tempeh Block 200g
6Tbsp panko breadcrumbs
Cooked rice to serve
Sesame seeds & chilli flakes to garnish
4Tbsp plain flour
2tsp curry powder
100ml plant milk
Creamy and flavourful Sauce
1small onion, chopped
1Tbsp curry powder
1tsp garam masala
1Tbsp plain flour
350ml vegetable stock
2Tbsp coconut cream
Salt & pepper to taste
Let’s get cooking! 👩🍳
- You want to start with the sauce. First, heat some oil in your pan and cook the onion until soften and golden. Cook your carrots until soft and blend all the ingredients together until you get a deliciously smooth sauce.
- Cook the rice, and set aside.
- Prepare the flour mix by combining all the ingredients and place into a bowl.
- Add the Panko Breadcrumbs to a bowl
- Cut your Tempeh into round pieces of about 1cm thick (trust your instinct on that, don’t get the ruler out).
- Dip the tempeh into the flour mix and then gently coat in the breadcrumbs for extra crispiness.
- Pre-heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan (very important) and cook the tempeh until golden and crispy. Try to be as gentle as possible to make sure you don’t lose your crust there.
- Time to plate! Serve the rice, tempeh and katsu sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and chili flakes.
- Get your comfy socks on,
- Cook the rice if it’s not already cooked.
- Prepare the flour mix in a small bowl and place the panko breadcrumbs into another bowl.
- Cut the tempeh into round ‘steaks’ about 1cm thick. Dip the tempeh into the flour mix, let them gently drip off any excess and then gently coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Pre-heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the tempeh until golden on both sides. Be gentle and move it as little as possible once they’re in the pan.
- Serve the rice, tempeh and katsu sauce, and garnish with sesame seeds & chilli flakes, and enjoy!
If you feel like eating out, save this World Vegan day recipe for later and check out our amazing clients – Pipoca Vegan and The Tipsy Vegan for the ultimate plant-based experience 💚🌱